Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thing #6 Response

I've been spending some time looking at mashup sites. This is the first time I have heard of such a term, although I have used some of these before when I have been surfing the Internet. One mashup that caught my attention is the Mosaic Maker.
The Mosaic Maker can easily be used in the classroom in a variety of ways. In all of the units that I teach, I work to include important scientists that contributed to that field. We want students to understand the lives of the people and how their ideas shaped our scientific knowledge. The Mosaic Maker can be used to gather and assemble and display pictures related to a specific topic in our units.
Another mashup that can be useful and fun is the trading card maker. Students can create "Scientists Trading Cards," as we go through our units of study. Students can win cards and trade them with each other. Like this, we create excitement about science, and the students can learn about scientists at the same time. I am looking forward to implementing this fun tool in my classroom this coming fall.

1 comment:

Book Nook Girl said...

Your students are in for a treat this fall. Mosaic Maker and Trading Card maker are great tools for incorporating technology and adding different dimensions to assignments. I like your idea for using Mosaic Maker!